Wednesday 1 October 2014

Red Monster - a quilt in progress

Monstera deliciosa is a plant which is native to tropical rain forests in Southern Mexico. When I was a girl almost every household had one in the lounge room. We called them Swiss Cheese plants. Some time ago I found a red print fabric of this plant (can't remember where or when) and kept it in my stash. Our Monday Night Owls decided that for our round robin we would create a block with a window. Each person had to do four blocks for another quilter. I decided to use the red print and wanted to keep the colours to red and white and only use stash fabric.

Here it is on the design wall. Funny how different quilters have a different quarter inch seam isn't it?



Anyway, after I got my blocks up on the design wall I realised that I needed more but I was determined not to buy any more fabric. So I made extra blocks with some red homespun that I had
lying around.

I still wasn't happy as I felt the windows looked blank. So I fussy cut some monstera leaves and appliquéd these in the white boxes.



If I was doing this as a wall hanging I think I would have made them 3-D as they looked very pretty just dangling there.


I wanted to keep the quilt small as I want to practice free motion quilting in each box. But it was still a bit too small so I decided to put a small border on it with the last of the monstera fabric. I also liked the idea of the black frame around the blocks to break up all that red monstera fabric a bit! I followed Ricki Tims instructions for this and I'm pleased with the results.

Now it's time to get quilting this red and white monstera!


No comments:

Post a Comment