Saturday 23 August 2014

Weekend socks

I found this http://www.canadianliving.com/crafts/knitting/knitting_pattern_weekend_socks_2.php pattern to knit socks of all things. I say 'of all things' because I'm not a knitter, and the best knitter I ever knew (my darling mum) never knitted socks to my knowledge. When we were children she knitted all sorts of things for us. I hardly ever saw her without a pair of knitting needles right up until I left home at 18. 

But stuck for something to occupy my hands at night, I thought I'd give these a go. Spotlight in Canberra didn't have cable needles - they said they didn't stock them - and a lady I spoke to at our local markets said I'd probably find them in an op shop. So, off to St Vincent de Paul's I went. A good half hour later, having sorted through hundreds of knitting needles I managed to find four size 4 needles. Armed with these and a couple of balls of cheap acrylic wool from the Reject Shop I started knitting. 


Took a short while to figure out how to manipulate the four needles, but I managed somehow, and I'm reasonably well into my 
first sock. But, this is 5 hours work!  Hmmmm.  It will take more than a weekend for my socks. If they turn out well I plan to buy some real wool and knit a pair for Julian and a pair each for the boys. 

Apparently if a girl knit a pair of socks for a boy it was a sign that they were an item!

I'd just like the men in my life to have a warm pair to wear around the house. 

I feel comfort knitting as my mum once did, and I'm thinking about her and how much I miss her as I knit. 


No comments:

Post a Comment